Sunday, January 31, 2010

A series of serious posts #4

Fertility

There isn't much new going on with me.  Most foods still burn and I've found I don't like soup mainly because it's warm and I can't just gulp it down quickly.  So, I continue to eat lots of yogurt, poached eggs, ice cream, and ensure.  After all of this I am really going to look at food a different way.

That being said, since I didn't have much to write about me, I thought it was time for another serious post.  This one is on the subject of fertility.

I briefly stated before that chances of the chemo playing an effect on my fertility are low, and while they are low, they still exist.  The chemo damages cells, both normal and cancerous, so right now, they are destroying or damaging several of my eggs (and therefore putting me into menopause earlier in life).  I am young, so I'll still have quite a few left after this is over; however, for just slightly older patients, it could potentially take away all their chances.  Even the eggs that aren't destroyed might be damaged and therefore not able to be fertilized.  It will probably be harder to have children when that time in my life comes....

And when will that time in my life come?  I don't know.  My husband I have talked about this issue of course, but for the most part it's "We don't want kids now.  Let's see how we feel in a few years."  It's a scary thing going into cancer treatment being told that the chemotherapy might cause infertility and do I want to pursue freezing any of my eggs.  I haven't even thought that far in advance.  Also, freezing eggs would delay treatment for up to a couple months and is that really wise?  Freezing eggs is expensive too....like $30,000 and up.  I basically told myself that if I become infertile and want kids then I'll just have to adopt.

Now adoption is also a tricky thing with cancer.  Many foreign countries do not let you adopt if you've had cancer.  Also, many U.S. adoption agencies require you to be in remission at least 5 years before they let you adopt.

I am at a good age for all of this I suppose.  I still have a lot of my eggs, so I shouldn't lose my fertility.  If I do want kids down the road, 5 years from now seems like a good timeline.  Even if I have my own children I'd like to wait 5 years.  5 years gives me the "cancer-free" stamp and quite a bit more assurance that I won't have another recurrence.  I don't know though....adoption seems like a good idea.  I worry about passing on my genes.  What if my cancer is genetic?  I wouldn't want to wish this on anyone.

So, while having cancer has pushed me more towards wanting to adopt than have my own children, it has not (so far) had a major impact on my fertility.  You can see how this might have quite a bigger effect on someone even a tiny bit older than me.  Also, this is all for doses of Cisplatin.  Other chemotherapy drugs have a much higher risk of infertility.

It's just all a lot to think about in a time when I have enough on my mind.

***For more information or help dealing with cancer and fertility issues, http://www.fertilehope.org/, is a great resource!***

1 comment:

  1. I pretty much know how you feel. I was engaged a short while ago, planning a wedding, planning to have kids in a 2-3 years... Now I am on more meds than I can count, and will be on them for a long time. No chance I'm having kids any time soon. And I am a touch older than you. Turning 27 in a few weeks. And not only do my elevated TPO antibodies lead to a higher risk of miscarriage, they also lead to a higher risk of "developmental delay" if I do have kids... Adoption sounds good here, too... Try not to think about it. I really don't let it bother me right now. My primary focus is on getting better and going into remission. If I get worse or die, I won't have kids anyway, right? So keep your thoughts positive and on getting well. People keep telling me I have plenty of time to have kids, so that means so do you!

    ReplyDelete