Sunday, January 3, 2010

it's called fatigue

I just turned to Jake and said "This is weird. I'm so tired, but I don't feel like sleeping." Jake responded with, "It's called fatigue." oooooooooooo. So that's what fatigue feels like. Ha.

I had day 4 of radiation today. Now I'm fatigued. I drove myself to the place and back and even stopped off at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. I felt like a normal person (although I did hope that the check-out person didn't notice the faint waffle-face I had). Then I got home, unpacked the groceries, and decided I felt like making guacamole. That's when the fatigue hit in. I started getting so worn down. By the time I was done chopping vegetables I had to stop and lay down. Who knew guacamole could do that to a person!

I looked back up the side effects from radiation. Sure enough, first on the list: fatigue. I thought that was only from the chemo. Great.

So, I guess this may be a good place to actually ask for help. I am a very organized person and make out my shopping list/meals every week. This week I planned for simple things Jake could make himself, just in case. It seems that Jake will be making dinner for a while, now, and I have only a handful of "easy meals." It's not that Jake can't cook, in fact, he's really good at it. He's just lazy. Ha! As long as there aren't too many steps or it doesn't dirty too many pans, he doesn't mind cooking. So....here is my plea to all you out there who keep asking what you can do from so far away. Send me easy meal recipes. Things that Jake can cook (that I can hopefully eat, as well). For Jake's sake it should involve few steps and easy cleanup. For my sake it shouldn't be too heavy, greasy, or spicy.

Alright... I suppose that's all for now. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

7 comments:

  1. I have a cookbook called 6 ingredients, 5 minutes of 4-get it! If okay, I'll send it. If you don't like it, I'll take it back at the end of January when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things that have saved my butt since I got sick: 1) Safeway delivers and 2) they have "Safeway Select Skillet Meals". All you do is throw them in a pan on medium, heat for 20 minutes, then enjoy. Chicken Parm is the best, but Pork Chow Mein is my second fav. They come in a black bag. I know fast food is usually flavorless, but these really are good.

    BTW, I feel you on the fatigue. I've only gotten 5 hours of total sleep in the past 59 hours! Tonight isn't looking good for some sleep either. And Alfredo is sick with a cold. So the snoring is just ridiculous. Deep sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good, fast main meal that gradpa loves.
    1 pkg. Knorr Garlic and Herb sauce
    1 can minced or chopped clams
    any cooked pasta for two.

    Prepare the sauce using the liquid with the clams as part of the liquid for the sauce. (I usually don't use the full amount of liquid because it makes too much sauce for two people.) Add clams and a cup more or less of small peas to the sauce, cook pasta, drain, pour on sauce and serve with a salad. You can add pimentoes or any other vegetable to the sauce for color and vitamins. really easy and onlky two pans to clean. Be careful not to burn the sauce. The slo-cooker can really become a friend. Do you need a cook book for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything in the crockpot is usually really easy! Just throw in all the ingredients in the morning and have dinner ready at night!

    Here's one for pot roast:

    Ingredients
    1 (2 pound) boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck pot roast
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 pound potato, cut into wedges
    3 cups fresh or frozen whole baby carrots
    1 medium onion, thickly sliced
    2 teaspoons dried basil leaves, crushed
    2 (10.25 ounce) cans Campbell's® Beef Gravy


    Directions
    Season the beef with the garlic powder. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until it's well browned on all sides.
    Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with the basil. Add the beef. Pour the gravy over the beef and vegetables.
    Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 11 hours* or until the beef is fork-tender.
    Remove the beef from the cooker and let it stand for 10 minutes. Serve the beef with the vegetables and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another crock pot classic. I haven't actually made this one yet but my friend recommended it to me awhile ago and it's super easy.

    Crock Pot Chicken
    -4 boneless chicken breasts
    -1 package Stove Top stuffing
    -2 cans cream of chicken soup
    -1 cup of water

    Directions: Place chicken in crock pot. Pour soup over chicken. Pour stuffing and seasoning pack on top of soup. Pour water on top of stuffing. Cook 6-8 hours on low.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My recipe for fettuccine alfredo is pretty simple. Cook the noodles obviously, but the sauce is:

    8oz cream cheese
    ~2 tablespoons of butter
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    3/4 lb parmigiano reggiano cheese
    A little bit of lemon juice or zest (don't overdo it)

    Delicious.

    -Bob

    ReplyDelete