Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I think I jinx myself on Mondays...

So yesterday was fabulous!  I felt almost as good as I did before treatment.  Other than the mouth sores, I felt in tip-top shape.  Yesterday was my weekly check-up with my RO.  He said I was doing extremely well, much better than most this far along.  I was defying the odds.  I was telling him how great I felt and how I was making plans for the week or so following treatment.  He looked at me and said this defying the odds might not last forever and I needed to be realistic.  But I felt so good.......

Then I woke up last night with a sore throat.  Uh-oh.  It doesn't seem as bad not that I've woken up and taken some magic mouthwash, but still....  I still have 13 treatments to go.  When my throat swells up and when I lose the ability to swallow, that's when there's talk of treatment delay and/or a feeding tube.  Let's hope it holds out the next couple weeks.

Also other side effects to note: an increase in tinnitus (ringing in my ears) and an increase in my hands/feet falling asleep.  The chemo can cause damage to the inner ear and neuropathy, so I need to keep a close eye on these two symptoms.

Well, let's hope the sore throat stays at bay.  Note to self - stop relying on how well I feel on Mondays.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a believer in finding the positive in every situation. Your doctor may be right that you need to be realistic, but what's the harm in enjoying the times that you feel great? Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, enjoy the great times. I sure do when I have them. And I believe now I am getting sympathy infections for you. Now I have to take magic mouthwash for the lesions in my throat and tongue. And I will definately take your advice on taking it more than 6 hours. It does wear off pretty quickly. However it is embarassing to use it in the work bathroom, since I have to use a syringe to get it deep, back into my throat and gargle. People look at me weird. Oh well. It's your fault since I'm getting sympathy lesions. JK. Hope you have more good days. Maybe use a syringe to really squirt the mouthwash all the way in the back of your throat. It works pretty well for me.

    ReplyDelete