Saturday, January 16, 2010

A hairy subject

Yesterday, when taking my shower, I was shocked at the globs of hair that began to fall out of my head. The chemo was only supposed to slightly thin my hair and this was just ridiculous! As it turned out, it wasn't the chemo, but the radiation causing my hair loss. I tried to take a picture of the back of my head to show you guys what I'm talking about. As you can see, the scar line extends up pretty far, so in radiating it, they managed to get some of my hair, as well. I outlined the area that used to be full of hair. :\


Aside from the hair loss, the mouth sores continue to proliferate. I was up to 7 yesterday, but I stopped counting. It's hard to tell where one sore stops and the next begins. I'm sad to be down to a "soft foods only" diet already and being woken up by pains and dryness in my mouth (which THANKFULLY for the time being can be quickly remedied with a glass of water and a swish of magic mouthwash).

Chemo #2 is Monday. I'm dreading adding nausea and fatigue to the equation.

On the upside, I'm having a very relaxing weekend and Jake has been a great help. I think the drugs he's on make him nicer and more loving. haha.

Anyway, I haven't eaten lunch yet, so I should do that. I guess it's soup and ensure today. :\

2 comments:

  1. Man, that's rough. I really feel for you. Maybe its about time to consider STD and just lay around the house all day (or go out for coffee and gelato every day). But you're a fighter and I know you'll be at work until you can't bear it. Just don't over do it. I really wish I had just gone on STD (and stayed on it through my hospital stays) until I started feeling better. Best of luck (and no more sores or hair loss) to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there toots! All your friends are thinking about you and praying for you. I love you. :-)

    ReplyDelete