Friday, January 1, 2010

surviving "lethal" doses of radiation

So, I'm sitting here watching an old episode of mythbusters where they are radiating bugs, mainly cockroaches, to see if they could survive nuclear radiation. The have 4 groups: a control with zero radiation, a group exposed to 1000 rads, 10000 rads, and 100000 rads. In terms of grays, that would be 0, 10, 100, and 1000. Every time they talk about the 1000 rad (10 gray) group they say that is the "lethal" dose to humans.... Yet I'm getting up to 66 grays worth of radiation to areas of my neck over the next month or so! Granted this will be spread out over 33 treatments, but that is still a scary thought!

As I watch over half the 10 gray cockroaches die off over the month of mythbuster observation, I wonder how my 66 grays will do on my head and neck. I guess it just goes to show you how powerful the radiation will be at destroying cancer cells.

2 comments:

  1. From Carl & Nancy Zimmerman:
    We wish you a speedy recovery from your treatment. We received your 'Holiday Update' in the mail today (1/2). We were driving through Tuscon last summer and but couldn't locate your address via the phone book (left your address @ home; doh!). Nancy had a couple of old Christmas pictures of Jake's Dad that she was going to give y'all. Next summer, we'll probably go through Tuscon again. We'll touch base w/ your and try to stop and see you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever played Fallout 3? That's where I learned about rads... but they had Radaway -- it removed rads. Too bad games aren't real life. Or wait... that game is about the end of man-kind.... maybe good thing games aren't real life...

    ReplyDelete