Monday, January 4, 2010

sensing radiation

So today I finally remembered to ask the radiation techs if it was normal to taste the radiation. They said that some people report that, but it really depends on what areas are being treated. I guess if the treatment is near people's eyes sometimes they'll see colors. If the treatment is near their tongue, sometimes they'll taste it. If it's near their nose, they'll smell it. How weird!

In my case every time the machine starts up for the first second or so I get a weird taste in my mouth. I can best describe it by telling you to imagine you had a cup of chlorinated pool water that you had tossed a rusty nail into, then you swished that water around in your mouth for a second. That's what it tastes like for me. ick.

Also speaking of senses, the chemo heightens senses. When I got my saline and heparin flushes after my bloodwork this morning (all my counts look good, btw) I could smell/taste it. yuck!

Hopefully the heightened taste just helps the tastebuds hold out longer. That'd be nice.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through your bloodwork this morning and your treatment this afternoon. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs sweetie we are thinking of you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think that's because of the port. The same thing happened to me with the PICC. I could smell and taste everything they put in it. They told me a lot of people can taste it. Heparin is so yummy, isn't it! *sarcasm*
    You looked great today, btw!

    ReplyDelete