Thursday, January 14, 2010

ho ho ho, it's magic, you know...

I think I'm up to 5 mouth sores. At this rate I could be up to 50 by the end of treatment. Yikes!

I told the radiation technicians about it yesterday and they got me to see the RO who prescribed me magic mouthwash. It's magic because it completely numbs the inside of my mouth and makes the pain go away. Unfortunately, it seems the numbing sensation only lasts a limited amount of time on my tongue. The solution seems to work pretty well on the inside of my cheeks and lips, though, so that's good.

Food is getting pretty difficult to eat. The swelling inside my mouth plus it being numb all the time makes it really difficult to eat "normal" food. I still do pretty good with the ensure and pudding and yogurt and ice cream. I suppose that may end up being my diet for the next several weeks. mmmmmm. As long as we're talking about food, I'm still doing pretty good with my weight. I lost those initial 5 lbs after the first dose of chemo, but since then have only lost another pound. We'll have to see what happens after the 2nd dose of chemo on Monday and as my mouth sores continue to get worse.

Tomorrow I have off of work. I'm very happy to be able to sleep in tomorrow and have 3 days to lay around and do nothing (Actually 5 if you count laying around at the chemo center on Monday and my planned time off on Tuesday in case of nausea).

Hopefully this mouthwash makes some of my sores disappear. Now that would be magical.

1 comment:

  1. It's "oh, ho, ho, it's magic"...and let's hope it is. Wait until your mom gets to Tucson. She'll find some soft food for you. I can make some soups and milk shakes for you!!

    ReplyDelete