Friday, January 8, 2010

A series of serious posts #2

HPV and Oral Cancer Awareness

I'm beginning to realize how many people must read my blog and that I can use it as an awareness tool. Despite my cancer cells being HPV negative, I decided it would be appropriate to do an entire post on HPV and how that relates to Oral Cancer and Oral Cancer Awareness.

Did you know that 80% of Americans will acquire HPV at some point in there life? Of those 80%, some unknown group will develop one of the 2-9 strains that cause cancer. I'm sure you are all aware of HPV and the link to cervical cancer, but did you know that HPV can also cause cancer of the base of tongue, tonsils, and pharynx? Now some of you out there may be thinking, but I'm not sexually active and I would never have oral sex. Aside from lying to yourself (because honestly who is NEVER in their lifetime sexually active/has oral sex), you may not realize that you can also get it from kissing. Kissing. That's right. And since 80% of people have HPV, if you've ever made out with anyone, chances are one of the two of you had HPV. Now, was this HPV a cancer-causing kind? Probably not, but you never know....

So what can I do?
Good question. You could never have sex or heavily make out with anyone ever again. Or....
1. If you're under 27, go and get the HPV vaccine.
2. Tell your friends these statistics and raise awareness
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, see your dentist once a year for an oral cancer screening. And if your dentist doesn't do oral cancer screenings, make him/her start or get a new one!

2 comments:

  1. I knew the other things in your post, but I totally didn't know you could get it from kissing. That is probably a big reason why so many people have it.
    However, I am generally wary of getting newer vaccines (I want to see what happens to people after many years of public release first). So I didn't get the vaccine by choice. But I will follow the oral cancer screening advice.
    Good info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I should clarify that most reports specifically say "french kissing". I suppose it has something to do with needing direct tongue contact.

    Also, as far as the vaccine goes, there are risks with any vaccine, but usually the benefits outweigh the risk. That being said, I never got an HPV vaccine, because by the time I had the insurance to cover it I was engaged and so I didn't see myself at risk for acquiring anything I didn't have already. Therefore, I decided the benefit did not outweigh the risk. Currently the HPV vaccines have about a 1 in 2000 risk for complication with a 1 in 12000 risk of it being a serious complication. This is higher than most vaccines obviously, but still a very small risk. Overall it is definitely a personal choice and one needs to weigh benefits vs. risks.

    ReplyDelete