Tuesday, January 5, 2010

another post on senses

6 down, 27 to go. I type this laying from the couch, the post-therapy fatigue fully hit in.

My sense of taste is leaving me. I ate a granola bar this morning and on the first bite looked down at my lap to see if I had missed my mouth. I couldn't tell that any food was there. I tasted nothing! Already! After only 5 treatments. :( I picked out a chocolate chip and focused on flavor. I could make out some sweetness. I did the same with a dried cherry. I could make out a bit of sour. I tried smelling the food first. It didn't help.

This continued through the rest of the day. I also started to notice faint hints of metallic tastes. My ensure tasted like really watery chocolate milk with nails in it. This is expected because of the chemo, which is made from metal.

The only good thing from all of this is that honey is becoming more tolerable. Last week I stupidly decided to try to take the honey while I was nauseated and I now associate eating honey with puking. Even the smell of it makes me gag. I had been trying to at least swish it in my mouth a bit before gagging and spitting it out. Today It wasn't that sweet, so I was able to swallow a bit before I caught a whiff of it and gagged from the smell. Tomorrow I'll try plugging my nose even while swallowing.

Well...it's time for dinner. Anyone up for rusty, almost chicken-flavored meat?

2 comments:

  1. Update now that I've finished dinner (yes it still takes an hour to eat)...

    So Jake made the most flavorful, juicy, perfectly grilled chicken and rice. Yes, I had to use a bit more soy sauce than I normally would. And yes, the chicken had a slight tin aftertaste. But for the most part, the dinner was delicious! This is why I love my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen it is your former hair stylist--(I was going to say old). I follow your Blog daily and wanted you to know I am thinking of you and wishing only good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Hugs Connie

    ReplyDelete