Sunday, December 27, 2009

tomorrow, you're only a day away

Today is my last day of rest before my months-long personal war on cancer begins. So, do I have exciting plans for today? Did Jake and I ever go skiing? No and no, but you know what? That's ok.

My plans for today include tidying up the house, doing dishes, roomba-ing, and grocery shopping. This may not seem like an enjoyable way to spend my last day pre-treatment, but to me I just want to feel normal. When the day comes that I can't take care of basic household tasks, that will be the day I feel defeated. Plus, if I get the house in its best shape now, it will take less to maintain that over the next several weeks.

I'm actually enjoying just spending time at home, as well. We finally got our tv and surround sound set up. I was decorating cookies in the kitchen yesterday while we were watching a movie. I was looking down at the cookies when someone in the movie started shooting a gun. For a split second I thought someone was shooting at me! I guess we have a pretty sweet setup, but it makes for some scary movie-watching experiences.

My mom and sister were supposed to be here today. The weather was pretty horrific in Oklahoma, though, so after driving about 20 miles yesterday they had to turn around. Luckily I got a phone call an hour or so ago saying the sun had come up and they had made it past the affected area. They were on their way. Horay! They should be getting in some time tomorrow. I guess they won't be playing games with me at the cancer center tomorrow morning, but I am very happy they were able to make it at all. :)

This also explains why I will be spending today cleaning house. Yes, I know, I have an excuse for not keeping my house clean... but there's this instinct you have to have your house in tip-top shape whenever your parents show up. I don't know why I have it, I just do.

On that note, I better go. I have some dirty dishes calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment