Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I couldn't eat another thing, not even a mint...

So this whole diet thing is just crazy. With my low metabolism, I have found that eating more than about 1400 calories a day causes me to gain weight. In recent years when trying to eat UNDER 1400 calories I always fail miserably, yet now that I'm trying to bulk up for radiation and chemo, I'm finding it very hard to eat much OVER 1400 calories. I'm actually starting to just get sickened by the thought of eating or large quatities of food.

That being said, for all of you out there wondering what the doctor has me eating...

In addition to whatever normal food I can handle from now until the end of treatment:
***6 bottles (1500 calories-worth) of ensure (right now I am only doing 3 since I'm so full all the time and am still eating regular food... I'm going to double-check that that is ok on Monday.)
***15g of L-glutamine twice a day (180 calories total) - helps with GI heath and provides nitrogen as if I had 36g of protein
***2000mg of fish oil twice a day (40 calories) - helps increase appetite, full of omega 3
***2 Tbs honey swish three times a day (360 calories) - from now until treatment I'm just doing one of these a day to get used to it, but once treatment starts I'm supposed to do it 15 minutes before radiation, 15 minutes after and 6 hours after that. I've been reading a bit about the curative properties of honey and some of the research out there is pretty amazing. I actually have a coworker, Liz (who is just the sweetest lady you'll ever meet), and she is a beekeeper outside of work. She brought me a jar of honey today and I am very very excited to have some homemade stuff. She's told me about how it helped other people with some pretty nasty wounds, so I hope it'll be just as effective at preventing wounds in my throat.

Well, despite being super full, I should head off to bed. I have a bottle of barium waiting for me at UMC for 7:45 tomorrow and I want to be well-rested. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment