Friday, December 11, 2009

Ode to an MRI machine

So I had my first MRI session this morning. The tech asked what I was there for and when I told him I was starting radiation treatments, he said we'd get to know each other well. I guess the ROs typically order a few MRIs throughout treatment to see if things are changing. Great.

The MRI, CT, and PET scans are all so different. Honestly, even though this one has me in the machine the longest (~45 min), it's probably one of the easiest. The CT contrast stuff gives you crazy weird warm sensation that makes you feel like you're peeing yourself. The PET scan injection makes you radioactive for a while and requires a long wait time after being injected before you're allowed to hop in the machine. The MRI with contrast still required me to get an IV, but I didn't have to do any weird fasting ahead of time and as soon as I put all my belongings in a locker, we were ready to go. The machine is pretty loud though and even though I had some nice Miles Davis going this morning, all I could hear was the beeping and clicking of the machine. Here is an example of what the machine sounded like (imagine the staccato notes more like clicks):

I told the MRI tech that he needed to write music that was in the same key and tempo as the machine so it wasn't so distracting. I think he thought I was crazy.

After the MRI I got stuck with needles two more times (my vein decided to roll away from the first stab) so I could give a blood sample for approval for anesthesia. I then went and got an xray (again for anesthesia approval). I showed up to work 30 minutes later with blue bandages around both arms. What a sight!

Today I am very thankful for working for Raytheon. They have a program called Supplemental Intermittent Absence Pay (SIAP) where you can get approved to get paid for doctor appointments, radiation treatments, chemo, etc. and it doesn't have to come from my normal Paid Time Off (PTO) bucket. I had not anticipated all these appointments before treatments would begin and with only .5 hours of PTO left for the year, I was starting to stress out about how I'd be able to work all my hours this week. I knew I could apply for FMLA but there was so much paperwork to fill out for that. I spoke with the Raytheon nurse in charge of SIAP today and was approved for all my appointments this week and the three next week. Once I have my finalized chemo and radiation schedule, I'll be getting approved for those as well. It is times like these I am very thankful to be working for a company with such great benefits. :)

I guess that's all for now. Here is an updated schedule of my upcoming appointments:
12/14 4:00pm - Radiation Simulation with RO
12/15 8:00am - Finalizing Chemo treatment plan/contract with MO
12/16 afternoon - Port insertion surgery with SO
12/21 (tentative) - treatment begins

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete