Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A post about Jake <3

First of all I will just start by saying how great my husband has been through all of this. With his own medical drama, he still manages time to take me where I need to be, make late night runs to pick up ensure, drop of my prescriptions at Walgreens while I'm laying on the couch making blog posts because I'm still groggy from the local anesthesia, etc.

Mostly though, I'd like to write about him since I have been getting a lot of emails asking how he is doing or phone calls from my mother saying people are asking her about him. I realized I left you all in limbo after his hospital stay 2 weekends ago.

So...a little update. Unfortunately, about the best thing that came from his hospital stay was a prescription for Percoset. His chronic pain issues have not subsided one bit. It seems his headaches may have died down a bit, but other than that, there has been no improvement. IF he had HE and IF that was what was causing his pain, that steroid treatment would have had him feeling tons better by now. My impression from the doctors was that his raised antibodies levels clearly indicated that he had a Hashimoto's disease and since he had normal thyroid function and seemingly neurological symptoms, it was definitely Hashimoto's Encephalopathy. In doing more research (or mainly in getting more links to research from Allison) it seems that even some normal people can have raised antibodies levels. That didn't seem to be the impression the doctors were giving us. It is all very odd.

So now Jake is taking very high doses of steroids daily, which have no effect on his chronic pain, but have caused him a lovely array of side effects... like being hungry/eating all the time, not being able to go to sleep until the wee hours, and easily getting irritated. Fun times.

He has an appointment with the doctor on Friday and with all the research we've been doing on our own, we have some theories we will be discussing with him. I hope from there we can finally do something to get him better. This is just getting ridiculous.

I love you, Jake. <3 Thanks for all you do to help me out. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love Jake too. Thanks too for all you do to help my daughter out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, Jake has his own medical drama too? How did I not hear about any of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember in the past when I had a 5-day steriod treatment... i had TONS of energy... but I suppose once you start having it for a while, those other side-effects can shine through.

    ReplyDelete