Saturday, December 19, 2009

Our kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy

Believe it or not we're still waiting on 5 more prescriptions to be filled between the two of us!

In addition to the normal tylenol and excedrin we have lying around, I've been given 2-4 prescriptions from every doctor I've seen in the past couple of days. Jake has been filling his fair share of prescriptions, as well.

Yesterday, we met with Jake's neurologist again. I really don't know how much I trust this guy anymore. When we told him the steroids weren't doing anything he asked if we wanted to continue on them for a few more months to see if they eventually did. He still seemed to think Jake was suffering from HE, when the steroids clearly weren't doing anything. I brought up the fact that there are people with high antibodies levels that do not have Hashimoto's diseases, and his response was that there was a small subset of people where that was true, but since Jake had high levels, normal scans, and neurological pain symptoms it had to be HE. Regardless of the doctors confidence in his diagnosis, he told Jake to go ahead and taper himself off the steroids (without actually giving us a step down plan) and then gave him prescriptions for two drugs that might help (one being Lyrica, a treatment for fibromyalgia, which I had Jake ask about the first day he saw this doctor. The doctor had said there was no way it could be fibromyalgia and did all those other tests first.). The neurologist also refilled the prescription for percoset, so at least Jake is in a good mood most of the time. I'm tired of Jake having to establish himself with new doctors all the time, but I'm wondering if it's getting to the point to do that again.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I think our doc might have a case of Jekyll and Hyde. He wanted me to start tapering off steroids even though they are working beautifully for my symptoms, yet he wanted Jake to stay on for a few more months?!? Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, from what I've heard, you really have to challenge your doctor. They are human too. Seems like this guy isn't so logical -- if he really believed what he said, he would have pushed harder to keep Jake on the steroids, thinking it would eventually help, but obviously, he wasn't too sure of it himself. I think you need to go see Dr. House. :)

    ReplyDelete