Saturday, February 27, 2010

I ate a cheeseburger!!!

I've been craving a cheeseburger for the past several days or at least some type of meat.  I don't think I've eaten meat in weeks.  Things didn't seem to be burning quite as bad today, so when Jake said he was going to pick up McDonalds for dinner, I asked him if he thought I could handle a cheeseburger.  We decided it was worth a shot.  I took an extra percoset and managed to eat an entire cheeseburger with only a little bit of pain!  It took me 40 minutes and two full glasses of water, but I did it...a whole cheeseburger!  You wouldn't think someone could be so happy eating McDonalds.

I am in such a great mood now and hopeful for days to come.  I definitely need to continue to avoid the types of things that would aggravate mouth sores, like spicy or acidic food, but I have hopes of eating solid food....even if I do have to do a lot of rinsing with water.

Things aren't 100% yet, though.  My taste buds are still pretty much shot.  I could only barely taste the food and was mainly enjoying the cheeseburger by its smell.  I should expect this to continue for the next couple years.  I also wouldn't be surprised if when tastes started to come back they were metal-like for a while.  That is almost inevitable.  It's a bit depressing knowing that I won't be able to really appreciate food for so long.  I am just thankful that I may start being able to eat again.  I'm just that much closer to being normal again.

1 comment: