Friday, February 19, 2010

You just beat cancer, what are you going to do now?

I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!

That's right folks.  Today Jake and I are leaving to Florida for a fun-filled time of relaxation and Disney characters.  This isn't completely out of the blue.  This trip has actually been in the works for almost a year.  Jake's family is having a reunion of sorts and it was scheduled for this weekend.  This weekend was blocked off on my calendar for so long...looming there at the end of treatment.   I kept wondering if I'd be well enough to make it.  We had plane tickets, but that was it.  Only a week ago did I finally call the doggie hotel, get a rental car, get tix to DisneyWorld (at a slight corporate discount - the company I work for just opened a ride there where you do math on a roller coaster, it's called 'the Sum of all Thrills' - how dorky! hehe).  Jake's mom got us a room as part of the block rooms for the reunion quite a while ago, so we were all set there as well.

I am really looking forward to a real vacation.  I'm still worried how a lot of my lingering side effects will play into all of this.  I woke up this morning, realizing my mucus, while still thick, was quite a bit thinner than before, to the point where I could swallow it.  It still hurts to swallow, but with cold water it's not too bad.  This will be a much better alternative than have a spit cup on the airplane.  I'm hoping this also means that I won't feel too bad leaving my suction machine at home.  A nurse had suggested getting a doctors note to take the machine to Florida with me.  It's only like 5-10 lbs.....but still, it just seemed like it would be a pain. 

The thing I'm most worried about is eating though.  I haven't eaten a thing but ensure and melted ice cream for the past week or two.  I plan to bring some ensure in my checked luggage, but that will only get me so far.  With walking around themeparks, I'm going to need more nutrition than my typical 1000 calories per day or so I've been consuming lately.  Even if I make sure to down two medium McDonalds shakes a day (~1500 calories), that's not really nutritious.  I am pleasantly surprised at how vast the improvements are from day to day.  My hope is that by a few days into the trip I'll be able to eat soft foods again.  I'm very sad by the fact that the reunion is having a special dinner and brunch that I won't be able to participate in.  I'm also sad by the fact that I won't get to eat my way around Epcot.  That is one of my favorite things about DisneyWorld, trying all the fabulous foods from around the world.  Maybe I'll just have to settle for a world review of ice cream. :\

I guess the last concern is my neck.  It is still pretty rough.  I was told to wear a "sombrero" by the RO (He thought that was just hilarious, too), but all kidding aside I should wear a large brim hat, to avoid sunlight on the scar, yet not irritating it with scarves.  I don't know, though.  I'd much rather wear a light scarf than a wide brim hat.  A scarf will stay on you while you flipped upside down in a roller coaster.  I'm not too sure about a hat.  I guess I'll bring both and see what happens.  Regardless, there will be lots of sunscreen.

Wow. This has been a long post.  I guess I am just very excited and anxious about the trip.  Regardless, I am looking forward to a very much deserved vacation. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Lee and I are planning to go to Disney World this year too!!! Yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Tammy and Uncle JimFebruary 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

    Woo hoo!!!! Aunt Tammy and Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete