Monday, February 15, 2010

You can call me NED

It's good to be done with radiation treatment!  I almost cried during treatment I was so happy to be done.  The doctor says by the end of next week I will feel like a whole new person.  I am looking forward to it!
 

The radiation techs let me take home my mask.  Hera (our min-pin) is horribly scared of it.  Ares (our corgi) felt he had to sniff it out.

So does this mean I can finally consider myself in remission?  Have I been in remission since surgery?  Do I get to finally start my 5-year clock to being considered cancer-free.  Has it already been clicking?  I still might be in treatment, though.  We still don't know about the mop-up chemo.  Today I've adopted a new label, NED - No evidence of disease.  This is a legitimate way of classifying yourself in the cancer world and that's how I  will identify myself for now.  I may or may not be in remission.  I may or may not be in treatment.  I may have to deal with physical and mental issues the rest of my life because of this cancer.  That doesn't matter now.  The important thing is that right now there is no evidence of the disease and that's the best we can hope for.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I don't plan on calling you NED, but I'll think of the implications. I hope you improve and improve and improve... I got a dental cleaning today and asked them to check for oral cancer. No signs of oral cancer, but unfortunately I do have a cavity. First time in 10 years. :( Anyway, they asked me about how you're doing. I guess they remembered I referred you. So even the dental staff are wishing you well!
    And maybe you can put that mask to use and take up fencing or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!! I am glad you are done! It's very encouraging to know that the doctor said you will feel totally different in a week and a half. I imagine that you'll just start feeling a little better each and every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! you made it sweetie! I will get your package out to you in the next couple of days. Just have to get it packed and to the post office. Sending lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! I'm celebrating on the East Coast! I'm SO glad you're done with radiation!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! I knew you could do it! I think I'll call you Ned, it has a nice ring to it. :) And I agree with Allison, your mask would work great for fencing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're thrilled, Jen! What an ordeal and you've been amazing. Thank you for sharing what you've been going through so we could send as many positive thoughts your way as possible! Love, Aunt Tammy and Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete