Sunday, November 22, 2009

random thought #1

Ever since I was diagnosed with cancer I keep having flashbacks to Mrs. Mullins's 9th grade English class and one particular journal entry. One day we were asked to write about: "If we had to lose one of our senses which would it be and why?" I remember writing (as an overweight high school freshman girl) that I would give up my sense of taste because then maybe I wouldn't eat so much.

Little did I know there would come a point in my life where I probably will lose some of my sense of taste, if not all, for at least a short period of time. It's a scary thing actually thinking about losing my sense of taste. I really love cooking. Planning menus and making dinner each night is a stress relief. I'm an excellent baker (ask some of my coworkers who love when I bring in cookies). I hate the idea of not being able to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies.

That being said...looking back, would I have changed my journal response? I love music more than anything, even cooking, so sense of hearing is completely out. Sight is so important for just my normal day-to-day activities. I feel like that is far too important of a sense to give up either. Smell might be a good option, although, it seems to be a good, built-in, safety feature...being able to detect when the milk goes bad, if there's a gas leak, etc. Also, smell has so much to do with taste, I think I'd lose my enjoyment of food with that one, as well. Finally, touch seems like an even better built-in safety feature, sensing if something is too hot or too cold. I'd miss my doggies licking me in the morning or hugs from my husband. It's weird enough now when he lightly brushes my check and I can't really feel it (my nerves were somewhat damaged from the first surgery). It's almost like that creepy crawly feeling you get when then dentist numbs your mouth and your lips are all weird for a few hours....except it's like that all the time for me. Some of the connections didn't line up quite right, either, so if I brush my cheek, I feel it in my neck. Very weird.

So to answer Mrs. Mullins, I suppose I would still opt to lose my sense of taste....but why would you make anyone ever have to choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment