Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nov 19th post to OCF forum

"I think it's time for another update... This morning I am typing on my phone from my hospital bed. I really hope I can go home today. I just hate hospitals and miss my doggies and my husband being around all the time. (He's staying at a hotel, because he just can't sleep in the hospital chair.)

Anyway, despite the pain in my jaw getting quite a bit worse, I held off until 11/16 for surgery. There were many delays and I ended up not getting back to surgery until 4-something. Despite what was supposed to be a simple left neck dissection, it ended up being much worse. After removing the lymphnode area, the doctor saw that the cancer had spread into the base of my tongue and my 12th cranial nerve (hence all the pain in my face lately). They had to sacrifice my nerve and they removed some of the BOT. My speech is pretty bad. Supposedly, it's supposed to get better with time, but without that nerve, I know my speech will never be normal.

It looks like radiation treatment will be coming up in about 4-6 weeks. I'll see my surgeon Monday to remove my stitches and give me the final pathology. I also have an appt. with my rad. oncologist on 12/4.

I guess at this point I'm just looking forward to getting out of the hospital and hopefully getting to keep my plane tix to fly to IL to spend Thanksgiving with relatives."

No comments:

Post a Comment