Monday, November 23, 2009

Nov 23rd email to some family and friends

I know I said I would start just posting to this blog, but I did send out an update email this morning to some family and friends, letting them know how this morning's appt. went and about the blog. So I will copy most of that below:

"Dr. Hayden's colleague removed my stitches this morning and we discussed the pathology report and my future treatment plan. The pathology report showed clear margins and the main cancer was contained to the one original lymphnode area. As the team had gathered, the cancer in that lymphnode had sort of exploded causing the lymphnode to "burst" and spread/surround the submandibular salivary gland and 12th cranial nerve that extends into the muscle at the base of my tongue. It also seemed to have slightly effected one other tiny lymphnode. The remaining dozen-some lymphnodes that were also removed were all negative of cancer and that cancerous node/gland/nerve/muscle mass was cleanly removed with negative margins. All in all, the surgery was a success.

Going forward, I will be meeting with my radiation oncologist on 12/4 to develop my treatment plan. Due to the rarity of my cancer conditions, the Mayo team thinks that it might be wise to talk to a medical oncologist (chemo doc), as well. It'll be a personal choice with that one as the benefits and unpleasantness of treatment almost outweigh one another.

The radiation treatments will begin in 2-3 weeks and last for 6-7. This means I doubt I'll make it to IL for Christmas. We'll just have to plan for a separate trip in the Spring. :) I got the ok to fly to IL for T-day, but was just told to keep it easy."

I just returned home from Phoenix and am picking up an ensure and heading out to work. Until next time then... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment