Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Insidious Tastebuds

I am finding that I don't notice the fact that I can't taste things quite as often. At first I thought it may be that I'm getting used to the lack of this sense. Then I began to realize that I could distinguish little nuances in foods. I wouldn't say that I CAN taste things, but I wouldn't say that I CAN'T anymore. It is such a gradual, insidious development. I guess I expected zaps of flavor... like one day tasting a certain spice or flavor and the next day tasting another. It's not really like that at all. Food just sorta becomes less and less bland. I feel like one day I'll just start commenting on how bad or how good something tastes and I won't even realize it.

The one thing that I still can't really taste is 'sweet'. Breakfast pastries just taste like bread. Ice cream is like really cold milk. Candy is pretty much just flavorless.

Regardless, I'm just happy to have realized my tastebuds may be coming back. I missed them greatly.



1 comment: