Thursday, September 16, 2010

Birthday bash, then blah...

Well... I guess the American Cancer Society can add one more number to their more birthdays campaign.
 Note the binary candles/holes on my cake: 
11010 (which converts to 26 in base ten)...  we're such dorks. :)

I had a fantastic birthday this year...or at least a fantastic time leading up to it.  Jake and I went out to eat on Saturday and had a fabulous meal (although we both ate far too much I'm sure).  The star chef even sent us home with a birthday card and a tiny box of chocolates.  awwww.  Then on Sunday we had friends over for a Tapas and wine party which was just fantastic.  Maybe they all found it a bit weird that I had fun cooking food all day, but I did!  We ended up with 4 different crostinis, stuffed mushrooms, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, arancini, patatas bravas, and lemon garlic chicken bites.  We also had 3-4 different wines plus a homemade white sangria, which I found to be quite awesome and super easy to make... so I'll share the recipe: 
Mix 1 bottle Sauvignon Blanc, 3 oranges (sliced), 1 lemon (sliced), 1 lime (sliced), 6 large strawberries (sliced), and 2/3 cup sugar and let set overnight.  When ready to serve, mix in 1/2 Liter Ginger Ale.
We topped off the night with ice cream cake (above) and a viewing of This Is Spinal Tap in honor of the year 1984, the year of my birth.  All-in-all it was a great party!

Then on Monday, my actually birthday, I was bombarded with facebook birthday wishes and emails and cards and phonecalls.  I felt so loved.  I brought in homemade red velvet cupcakes (which were awesome) to my coworkers, who again found it odd that I would bake for my own birthday.  I love cooking/baking... what can I say!  One coworker got a card signed by a bunch of the folks in the factory and made me a mini loaf of delicious zucchini bread.

And that unfortunately is where the good part of the week ends and the "blah" part starts....

Early last week I tried to get a refill on my narcolepsy medication (that's right... in addition to surviving cancer, I also have to deal with mild narcolepsy), but found out that I had reached my two refill limit at Walgreens and, per my current prescription plan, had to request a 90-day supply from CVS.  So....  to cut a long story short, I ended up running out of pills a few days ago because CVS apparently doesn't know how to read a fax number or call people as a confirmation or give any type of status to their customers.... but my sleep doctor finally got a fax with the request yesterday (after his office was closed for the day, mind you) and faxed it back early today.  So... thankfully I was able to take a pill this afternoon so I'm actually awake and blogging.  It was getting so bad without my narcolepsy meds that I couldn't make it much past 8pm without falling asleep on the couch and I stopped making it into work on time.  For my birthday Jake bought me an adapter to use our camera with our telescope so that we could take pictures of the moon and planets and whatnot.  On Tuesday he ended up going outside to use it himself, then came to our bedroom around 10-something to wake me up and show me the cool pictures he took.   I just started crying... I was so upset that I couldn't stay awake and that he was getting to use my gift.

Anyway... I have my pills now.  Jake is going in for his injections tomorrow.  I have all of this weekend to try out my birthday gift.  Things are looking up. :)

1 comment:

  1. I know you aren't a believer in naturopathic medicine, but I sure am after today. You can read about it on my blog tomorrow. My naturopath said her husband is an MD and was part of a team that developed a pain medicine that even cures fibromyalgia. I specifically asked about bursitis (sp?) and she said his team had accidentally cured bursitis in someone when they were trying the drug out. So just in case, there might be another option for Jake. Just thought I'd FYI. Glad you had a good birthday.

    ReplyDelete