Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowpocalyspe in Tucson?

Well, up until this morning I was quite happy to be in Tucson.  I was laughing at my northern friends' Snowpocalypse facebook updates, while enjoying the 60 deg.-ish temps here.  I was laughing at the locals who were freaking out that it was only 36 when we left work yesterday.

I'm not laughing anymore.  Tucson was not designed for below freezing temperatures.  This morning all our pipes outside were frozen, so we had no water.  Around 6:00 this morning I became convinced that a pipe must have burst somewhere in the walls of our house and so Jake called a plumber.  Around 11 or so, I began to think that maybe I just needed to go take a heat gun to the pipes and that would fix our problem.  Well, about the same time, the plumber showed up and charged us a couple hundred dollars to thaw our pipes with a blow torch. :/  One of our pipes did crack, but it was an outside pipe that is used for the hose hookup.  The plumber did replace this, which made it worth him coming, I suppose.  I have now wrapped all our outside pipes in towels and duct tape in anticipation of the chilly 22 deg low tonight. *sigh*

Well, the plumber ended up getting our water running again around noon... which just so happened to be about the time the gas went out!  Apparently our gas company didn't have enough gas to cover all of its customers in such cold temperatures, and in running the lines so hard, the one that controls our subdivision broke and 14,000 people are without heat!  They say they might not have it back up and running until Tuesday!!!  I don't understand what should take that long.  They have to apparently come to everyone's house individually and turn off the gas, then fix the problem, and then individually turn the gas back on. *sigh*

So... I've been bathing with water boiled on the stove.  I'm wearing two pairs of socks and a hat in order to try to keep warm.  I've tried every little trick I can think of to keep the house warm.  I turned on all the lights in the house (I think I've read studies showing that that can increase the temperature in your house by a couple degrees) and I'm baking cookies just to have an excuse to have the oven on.  So far our house temp is still at 68 deg. (although I think it's probably a few deg. colder in the living room, which is where Jake, the doggies, and I are all hanging out).  Hopefully it doesn't get much colder over night.  I don't want our doggies to freeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment